Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board
Welcome to the Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board (BSCB) website.
The Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board has a statutory duty to co-ordinate how agencies work together to safeguard and promote the well being of children and young people in Birmingham and to ensure the effectiveness of the safeguarding arrangements.
Jane Held, Independent Chair oversees a Board which is made up of senior representatives from the key statutory and voluntary organisations that have responsibility for delivering services to children or have regular contact with children.
Safeguarding children and young people means keeping them safe from neglect and abuse. Any one who comes into contact with children and families has a responsibility to safeguard and promote their welfare. Professionals have a duty to do so. Safeguarding and promoting welfare means:
- Protecting children from maltreatment,
- preventing impairment of children's health or development,
- ensuring children and young people are growing in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and
- taking action to enable all children to have the best life chances.
Worried about the safety or welfare of a child?
Outside of normal office hours please call 0121 675 4806 for the Emergency Duty Team
Current Safeguarding News
Female Genital Mutilation
The Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board has revised its procedure in relation to Female Genital Mutilation (Section 17).
The procedure provides information and guidance about:
- How to make a referral to Children's Social Care
- Key issues for consideration at strategy meetings
- Action to be taken when a child has been subject to child abuse through FGM