What to do if you think a child maybe at risk of abuse/neglect

Very few adults harm children deliberately and most often, when harm does happen, families need support, not punishment or the removal of their children.

Many myths exist, so for the record:

  • Parents are responsible for their children's safety.
  • Children's Social Services become involved once concern is shared.
  • Decisions about abuse need careful assessment.
  • Children are best cared for by their own families.
  • Professionals want to work in partnership with families.
  • Very few children are removed from home following abuse.


Birmingham social workers and other professionals get involved when parents may be unable to protect their child from harm and need some help. In some cases Birmingham Police Child Protection Units will investigate with social workers to help protect children and decide whether an offence has been committed against a child.


If you have concerns regarding a child please contact the office covering the area where the child lives (please see below).

Birmingham Children, Young People and Families Directorate


Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub

For further information on the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub please click here

Contact Telephone: 0121 303 1888

Contact Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Outside normal office hours;

Please contact the Emergency Duty Team on 0121 675 4806.


Interagency Referral Form

To download an Interagency Referral Form click here

Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) Referral Form

To download a Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) Referral Form click here


Child Sexual Exploitation

To download the Child Sexual Exploitation Screening Tool - Click Here 

To download the Child Sexual Exploitation referral form to MSET Operational Group - Click Here


Further information

If you would like further information, please visit www.dfes.gov.uk

Copyright © 2013 Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board. All Rights Reserved.

Room B54, Council House Extension, Margaret Street, B3 3BU