Vision and Purpose
"Every child in every part of the City should achieve their potential. We will provide early help and support to those children and families who need it and, working together, we will ensure that every child has the belief, aspiration and support to be their best".
We believe that safeguarding is "everyone's business" and our vision will be achieved by supporting every child with flexible and responsive services at the right time.
There is a requirement under Section 13 of the Children Act 2004 for each Local Authority to establish a Local Safeguarding Children Board. The agencies and organisations represented on the Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board (BSCB) share a statutory commitment to co-operate and work together to safeguard and promote the well-being of children.
The BSCB has a range of roles and statutory functions including developing local safeguarding policy and procedures and scrutinising local arrangements. The statutory objectives and functions of the BSCB are described as follows:
- To coordinate what is done by organisations represented on the Board in relation to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in Birmingham; and
- To ensure the effectiveness of the safeguarding arrangements within Birmingham.
- To develop policies and procedures for all professionals working in Birmingham,
- To communicate the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, raising awareness on how this can be best done and encourage professionals and agencies to do so,
- To monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the safeguarding arrangements within Birmingham and advise on ways to improve.
- To participate in the planning of services for children in the area of Birmingham, and
- To undertake Serious Case Reviews ensuring that lessons to be learned are disseminated to all agencies.